CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Leadership




LEADERSHIP: Why is the sea king of a hundred streams? Because it lies below them. Therefore it is king of a hundred streams. - Tao Te Ching

I like this quote because it tends to keep me humble. I believe that we should appraoch every situation as a leader in one way or another. But when we do, those people we are leading must have a strict model. Although we see ourselves as higher or more experienced, aren't we learning as well? When I see myself in a position as leading someone, i pray that when i do approach them, i put myself at a lower level, physically. When i teach my children i always squat down so they are asking a question on a higher level. When we lead we want to love the people for wanting to grow and ask and learn. We don't want to antimidate or put up these fake fronts. If i expect my kids to try their hardest, i can't show them a lazy teacher. I guess what i'm trying to say is that, i've had so many opportunities to be a leader and totally blown it. I look back at all the people i could have helped and didn't. when i came across this quote, so many memories and feelings came back to me about those situations. i thought that being a leader was telling people what to do, and that's it. there was so much frustration that came along with my demands for them. i have learned that its natural for people to WANT to be led in one way or another. it takes a good leader to sit down, observe, and listen to those people. jesus, to me was the perfect example of a loving, selfless leader. i only can pray that god will instill in me the tools it will take to be a leader like him. I also pray that i never lose the need to continue to learn everyday and to self-reflect. Self-reflection is the best learning strategy i've found by far. its one of the hardest to stay disciplined at as well. that's awesome for me because it will push me to keep getting better and better at.

0 comments: